Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Repost: How I spent my time at SIGCSE

When I attend a conference, I try to prepare blog posts detailing the presentations that I see and other items of objective content.  More important are the people in attendance.  I spend more time meeting with colleagues than I do actually sitting in the sessions.  Before you are shocked, understand that much of our conversation are about these sessions.  Depending on the conference there can be between 2 and 10? sessions occurring concurrently.  I cannot be in 2, let alone 10, places at once, so instead we sample (as in the appearance of randomly selecting) the sessions and then discuss.

I met Janet Davis, who now heads the CS program at Whitman College, during my first time at SIGCSE.  I value her different perspective and always try to seek her out at some point during the conference.

These themes merge in her blog post that shows some idea as to how each day is organized and how the sessions (papers, panels, etc) play a part in a very busy schedule.

No comments: