Thursday, December 29, 2016

Book Review: The Art of Readable Code

I really enjoyed reading The Art of Readable Code.  I always enjoy reading books on style, both English writing as well as source code.  The earlier chapters were a greater highlight to me, as they focused on the basics of style and particularly were demonstrated through languages with which I am familiar.  Some of the later chapters instead were examples particular to languages that I do not use, such as illustrating style pitfalls with JavaScript.  The book also had value in showing several approaches and continuing to refactor the code to better meet style and readability.

While the topic is style, this is really more about fundamentally good practices, which may be implemented in one of several ways (e.g., where to put braces, camel case, etc) that is termed style.  Between this and the examples within the text, I want to start requiring it of students.  I want them to read and see why style actually matters.  Or maybe we will just have to wait until they experience why it matters and suffer for it.

No comments: